According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “In 2019, 7.1% of adults aged 45 and over used a hearing aid.” If you’re one of this number or you’ve made the investment more recently, you need to know how to store your hearing aids safely so your pets can’t get ahold of them. We review how to do this below.
Where to Store Your Hearing Aids
When choosing a place to store your hearing aids when you’re not wearing them, pick somewhere consistent. This way, you’ll know right away if they’ve gone missing. You should choose a place that is too high for your pets to reach or in a drawer that remains closed. Keep in mind, your hearing aids shouldn’t be stored somewhere humid, like the bathroom, or in direct sunlight, like a windowsill.
Where to Store Your Batteries
You should store your new and old batteries in containers with snap-tight lids, which you can get from most local major general retail stores. Just be sure to label each one clearly, so you’re not putting dead batteries in your hearing aids on accident. When you are able, take the old batteries to a recycling center. Never dispose of them in the trash can, as your pet can rummage through it and consume the batteries, which are still extremely hazardous, even if the battery is dead.
Signs Your Pet Ate a Hearing Aid or Battery
Look out for the following signs your pet ate a hearing aid or battery:
- They won’t eat or drink, or they try but can’t swallow.
- They’re vomiting or drooling.
- Their tongue is red, or their skin is gray.
- They’re whimpering as if in pain.
In some cases, these signs don’t show up until 12 hours after ingestion.
What to Do If Your Pet Swallows a Hearing Aid or Battery
As soon as you notice the signs, take your pet to an emergency veterinarian clinic. Make sure you know what kind of batteries they ingested, so the vet knows what to do.
For more information about keeping your hearing aids away from pets or to schedule an appointment with a hearing aid expert, call Kampsen Hearing today.